Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"Wild and Wonderful"

... you know where that is from? West Virgina! I just took a trip there to visit my Mom's friends from her childhood and some Boone family hunting. My uncle David was awesome enough to meet me there to show me around.

Day One: We went to Sutton and checked it out. Stopped in at the courthouse where my Mom's friend Susan Lemon works, she was sweet enough to help us find some family records.

David in the back room going through some files but they didn't have what we needed.

So Susan pulled out some giant old keys and through us in jail. "Not even in town an hour Cara, and you got me in jail!" -David

As you can see this is no longer used as a jail, but for storage!

We then headed through Gassaway.
This is the house my mother lived in til she was 14. It just got new siding this spring.
Great Grandpa Creed Yoak's old store:
Then on through down to Calhoun county to see where the Yoak family is buried.
Not too hard to find eh?
Just to show how huge this monument is:


After all that driving around calhoun and braxton county we worked up an appetite. Lunch?
Well of course I was going to have a slaw dog, WV is famous for it. Delish!! We then toured up and down old elk street with my Mom's friend Ruth, she knew all about everything, who owned what, who use to be there etc.
"I grew up here and haven't run into a single person, this is your first visit and you have ran into three people already!" - David to me. Ha ha go facebook!

On to Sutton Damn


Day 2, Saturday
Connie came up from Ohio and I got to see her for the first time in 15 years! We visited and then headed to DQ for her favorite slaw dogs!
That afternoon my Mom's old friends and my new friends (same ppl) planned a little get together at the beautiful Bee Run. They all brought yearbooks, pictures, stories and food!


Day 3, Sunday
Aunt Connie had worked out a visit with her cousin Garrett Boone. We had a wonderful visit with this amazing man who has had an awesome career and a beautiful family. I really hope he meant it when he said I could stay with him on his 200 acre estate next summer.
Some of the easter eggs from the White House he saved, during his career there.


No trip to WV is complete without seeing my cousin Jody. We started with lunch and then headed to the Old River Gorge.
I dont even know where those looks came from. Is there something in my teeth?






Oh man, I tried to make this short. I skimmed over a lot!!!! But mostly it was a trip of TALKING and LISTENING and RIDING IN THE CAR. So I guess I could have just put that but that would be to skim!
Highlights:
Being with my Aunt Connie! Her hubby was there too, what a neat guy!
Spending time with my Uncle David!
TURTLES! They just have turtles back east, just walking around!
My Mom's friends, too bad she wasn't able to stick around these good people!
Puppies, Garrett's dog just had a litter only three weeks ago.
Seeing why my Mom talked about back east so much. I will be back and soon!

5 comments:

Annette said...

Looks like a wonderful trip!!! Devon is very jealous, he even stopped watching soccer to look at the pics you posted.

Gerb said...

Sounds like a great trip. I love the looks of that old jail!

Cara said...

Annette- Well there is talk of a family summer trip that Susan's kids have started to circulate. I have been informed so now I am informing you, who knows we could maybe get a good group out there!
Gerb- I was telling them they should have turned into A. a museum or B. a haunted house!

Sarah said...

Looks like a good time. I would maybe be interested in the summer trip, too.

Andy and Brandi Newlan said...

I am SO glad you had so much fun!!! It looks like you were able to connect with a lot of people while out there! You will have to get with my mom and see if we are related. :) I'm so glad you finally got to go out there and spend some time with your long lost family! WV is fun!